With effect from 6th October 2019, the Home Office will include more jobs in the UK that qualify as a shortage occupation. The full list of eligible occupations will be published in Appendix K of the Immigration Rules.
The changes will be very welcome by employers who need to sponsor overseas workers under Tier 2 General of the Points Based System. Those vacancies that meet the shortage of occupation criteria will not need to undergo a Resident Labour Market test. Furthermore, qualifying jobs are awarded a high number of points under the monthly quota system which means that applicants have a very good chance of being awarded a Certificate of Sponsorship.
Jobs to be published on the forthcoming list include:
- Engineering roles (SOC codes 2121, 2122, 2123, 2124, 2126, 2127, 2129, 2461)
- IT business analysts and designers (2135)
- Programmers and software development professionals (2136)
- Web designers (2137)
- Cyber security specialists (2139)
- Medical practitioners (2211)
- Veterinarians (2216)
- Architects (2431)
- Quantity Surveyors (2433)
- Occupational Therapists (2222)
- Graphic Designers (3421)