In 1957, the Treaty of Rome introduced the right to free movement of workers based in the European Economic Community (EEC). This was later adopted by the United Kingdom upon Joining the EEC in 1973. Since then, citizens of the European Union (EU) and European Economic Area (EEA) as a whole have enjoyed the right to live and work in the United Kingdom free of restrictions, so long as they remain a ‘qualified person’.

Our Recommendations to EU Nationals

A qualified person includes

  • Workers
  • Self-employed
  • Job seekers
  • Student
  • Self-sufficient persons

Please note, should you have spent time in the UK in the latter 3 categories, it is important that you have evidence of comprehensive sickness insurance, to cover those periods.

After the UK’s referendum vote to leave the EU (‘Brexit’), the right to freedom of movement has been called into question.

Whilst the exact conditions that will be imposed on EU/EEA citizens are unknown, it is likely that without the correct documentation to show your right to reside in the UK, your position would become uncertain.

We recommend that all EU citizens residing in the UK apply for either a Certificate of Residence or a document certifying permanent residence to ensure that your immigration status is safe.

The one way to avoid all future immigration restrictions would be to apply for British Naturalisation. Please note that an individual can only apply for British Naturalisation once they have held a permanent residence document for a minimum of 12 months.

There have been talks that the UK shall not leave the EU until at least the 1st January 2019. When this happens, it is likely that an Australian style points based system will be introduced for all future EU/EEA citizens wishing to live and work in the UK.

Should you require our help and/or wish to be put on a mailing list so that we can contact you with any further developments, do not hesitate to contact us.