To join permanently settled parents in the UK, a ‘family of a settled person’ visa is required. This applies to non-European Economic Area (EEA) or Swiss nationals. You must be under 18 years of age, and be joining your permanently settled parents for 6 months or more in the UK.

Joining Parents in the UK

Who can apply?

Parents must be any of the following for children to be eligible to join them in the UK;

  • a British citizen
  • be settled in the UK
  • have asylum or humanitarian protection in the United Kingdom

You can also use your family of a settled person visa to work or study in the UK.

Other requirements:

  • You need to prove that your relationships with the family member you are joining is genuine. Evidence of your relationship and any contact between you might include birth certificates, phone records and any letters or email correspondence.
  • You must have proof of suitable accommodation arrangements in the UK too. Evidence could include mortgage statements, tenancy agreements or accommodation details with a supporting letter from the occupant/ landlord/sponsoring family member confirming that you are able to stay there. You must then intend to continue living with your family member or partner in the UK after you apply.
  • Unless you are applying as an adult dependent relative, you must have a good knowledge of English.

Looking After Your Child in the UK

You may be eligible to join your child in the United Kingdom providing that certain criteria is met.

The basic requirements are that;

  • Your child is under 18 and living in the UK permanently
  • You are the child’s only parent and maintain ‘sole responsibility’ of your child
  • Your child is currently living with another parent/carer who is either British or settled in the UK and is not your partner

During your stay, you must be able to prove that you can support yourself without requesting public funds.